132kV Reinforcement Project – Selly Oak, Birmingham
Western Power Distribution (WPD) have recognised that there is to be a significant load growth in Birmingham out of Selly Oak switching station and have therefore looked to reinforce/upgrade the substation to allow for the future needs of the city.
Wootton & Wootton have been contracted to provide a turnkey package for the project management, excavation & reinstatement, installation of 132 & 11kV cables. This included the installation of temporary work platforms, all terminations and cable sealing ends, Sheath testing and 132kV pressure testing upon completion including Partial Discharge mapping and Tan Delta diagnostics.
The project was completed on budget and within predicted timescales.
- To excavate backfill & reinstate track to accommodate 132kV cable
- Installation of 3 x 132kV 630mm Cu, XLPE, Pb sheath, CWS, & MDPE outer sheath Cables between the CSE structures and the new 132/11kV Transformer CSE structures
- Installation of 9 x 11kV 630mm Cu XLPE CWS Cables between the new Transformer and the new switchgear
- Installation of 3 x 11kV 630mm Cu XLPE CWS Cables between the new Transformer to the Auxiliary Transformer including cable management
- Installation and termination of 4c 95 waveform LV cable
- Installation 2 x 132kV CSE Structures
- To install 6 x 132kV Prysmian sealing ends
- To install 6 x LBM2 link boxes including bonding lead installation and connections
- To install 15 x 630mm 11kV 400 series Euromold terminations onto the 132/11kV transformer, switchgear & auxiliary transformer
- To supply & install scaffold structures at each 132kV CSE position
- To drill all transformer gland plates and supply & install all cable management & cleating requirements
- Carry out Pressure test, Tan Delta test and Partial Discharge mapping of the 132kV cable system upon completion
- To supply full time project management, authorised standby supervision where required and supplied the client with appropriate handover paperwork.