Whinmoor 132kV Oil Overlay
Northern Powergrid decided to overlay the existing oil filled 132kV circuit with modern day XLPE as the existing cables were prone to leaks, resulting in environmental concerns and had reached the end of their design life.
Wootton & Wootton were contracted to supply & install intermediate straight joints, cable sealing ends, associated link boxes, undertake AC VLF pressure testing prior to energisation & decommission the existing oil filled cables upon completion and energisation of the new circuit.
Our teams exceeded expectations and completed works both on schedule and on budget.
- Supply and handling of 30 x 132kV Tyco 3-piece joints & 12 x 132kV OHVT cable sealing ends.
- To install 30 x 132kv Tyco 1c 132Kv XLPE 1200mm Cu CWS/Pb straight joints
- To install 12 x 132kV Tyco 1c 132kV 1200mm Cu CWS/Pb Cable Sealing Ends
- To undertake steelwork modifications on the CSE structures at the tower to accept the new cable accessories
- Carry out all sheath testing during and upon completion of jointing
- Carry out 132kV AC VLF pressure tests upon completion
- Removal & disposal of 6 x existing 132kV sealing ends
- Decommissioning & removal of oil tanks & all ancillary equipment
- Fully de-oil & decommission 2 x 1235m redundant oil filled cable circuits
- Permanent capping of the existing cables using plumbed brass caps
- Standby supervision for civil and scaffolding works
- Coordination & planning of outages with client engineering resource and Northern Powergrid engineers.